The Peter and Paul Fortress is a unique open-air monument of architecture and history of St-Petersburg. The fortress was founded on the small Hare Island on the 16th (27) of May 1703 in the course of...
The Winter Palace, the main residence of the Russian Emperors, was built to a project by Bartolomeo Francesco Rastrelli in 1754-1762 in the Baroque style. The main facade of the palace overlooks Palace...
The Cathedral of the Resurrection was erected to a project by the architect Alfred Parland and Archimandrite Ignaty (Malyshev) in 1883-1907 on the place where on the 1st of March 1881 members...
The State Russian Museum is a veritable treasure-house of Russian art. Paintings, graphic art, sculpture, objects of applied and decorative art from ancient times to the present day – all these fields...
Saint Isaac’s Cathedral is a museum building striking one by its majesty. This cathedral marked the befitting completion of the age of Russia Classicism. The golden dome of St Isaac’s is visible...
The building of the Main Admiralty is situated between two squares – Palace Square and Decembrists’Square – and is the architectural and compositional centre of Saint-Petersburg. The...
The Kazan Cathedral, a fine architectural monument of Russian Classicism, was built in 1801-1811 to a project by the architect Andrei Voronikhin, the former serf of Count Alexander Stroganov. According...
Palace Square, created by the architect Carlo Rossi, is one of the most perfect architectural ensembles in the world. Its magnificent appearance is determined by the Winter Palace, Rastrelli’s masterpiece...
The majestic building of the General Staff, a masterpiece of the Classical style, skirts Palace Square from the south in a wide semi-circle, being an integral part of its architectural ensemble. The architect...
The Smolny (Resurrection) Convent was the first cloister for women in St Petersburg. It was founded on the site of the Tar Yard by Empress Elizabeth (“tar” means smola in Russia, hence...
Next to the Smolny Convent stands the building of the Smolny Institute for the Girls of Noble Birth. Giacomo Quarenghi erected the mansion in 1806-1008 for Russia’s first female educational establishment...
The monument to Emperor Peter the Great, set up at the behest of Catherine the Great and eulogized later by Alexander Pushkin was the first monument in Russia. It was unveiled in a festive atmosphere in...
The Senate and Synod buildings were constructed by the architect A. Staubert in the style of Classicism to a project by Carlo Rossi in 1829-1834. The buildings were linked by a huge arch spanning Galernaya...
The Mariinsky Palace is a present of Emperor Nicholas I to his daughter Maria for her wedding to Duke Maximilian of Leuchtenberg. The building in the Historical or eclectic style was built in 1838-1844...
The so-called Log Cabin of Peter the Great is the only wooden structure surviving to this day from the time of the foundation of Saint-Petersburg. Built in the summer of 1703 by soldiers-carpenters from...
The construction of the palace for Peter the Great’s favorite associate, Prince Alexander Menshikov, the first Governor of Saint-Petersburg, began in 1710 to a project by the architect Giovanni Mario...