KAZAN CATHEDRAL (CATHEDRAL OF THE MOTHER OF GOD OF KAZAN)

Address: 2, Kazanskaya Pl. (Kazan Square)
KAZAN CATHEDRAL (CATHEDRAL OF THE MOTHER OF GOD OF KAZAN)

The Kazan Cathedral, a fine architectural monument of Russian Classicism, was built in 1801-1811 to a project by the architect Andrei Voronikhin, the former serf of Count Alexander Stroganov.

According to the church canons the main entrance of the Kazan Cathedral is located on the western side, at Kazanskaya Street, and the chancel is directed eastwards. A veritable decoration of Nevsky prospect became its facade, designed by Voronikhin as the principal one, with four rows of the arc-shaped colonnade of 96 columns skirting it.

The Kazan Cathedral is more than 70 metres high. For the first time in the world the dome of the cathedral was assembled of forged iron. The rich sculptural décor is well integrated into the architectural composition of the building. In the niches of the Nevsky portico are installed four bronze statues: St Alexander Nevsky and St Prince Vladimir (sculptor Stepan Pimenov), St John the Baptist (sculptor Ivan Martos), St Andew the First-Called (sculptor Vasily Demuth-Malinovsky); outside the cathedral is adorned with bas-relief compositions on biblical subjects.

The interior of the Kazan Cathedral is designed as a majestic columned hall. The best painters of that period – such as Alexander Briullov, Orest Kiprensky and Vladimir Borovikovsky – contributed to its artistic design. The cathedral owns the miraculous icon of the Mother of God of Kazan, the patron of the Romanov House.