SENATE AND SYNOD BUILDINGS

Address: 1/3, Pl. Dekabristov (Decembrists’ Square)
SENATE AND SYNOD BUILDINGS

The Senate and Synod buildings were constructed by the architect A. Staubert in the style of Classicism to a project by Carlo Rossi in 1829-1834. The buildings were linked by a huge arch spanning Galernaya Street. The décor of the façades was done with a wide use of sculpture: the figures of genii over the coupled columns and an allegoric composition over the arch, Justice and Piety, executed by the sculptors Stepan Pimenov, Pavel Sokolov, Vasily Demuth-Malinovsky, Nikolai Tokarev and others. The entrances of the buildings, located symmetrically with regard to the arch, are provided with granite staircases and ramps.

Formerly the Senate and Synod buildings housed the Central State Historical Archives.

At the present time the Constitutional Court of Russian Federation occupies the Senate and Synod buildings.