SMOLNY INSTITUTE

Address: Pl. Proletarskoy Diktatury (Ploletarian Dictatorship Square)
SMOLNY INSTITUTE

Next to the Smolny Convent stands the building of the Smolny Institute for the Girls of Noble Birth. Giacomo Quarenghi erected the mansion in 1806-1008 for Russia’s first female educational establishment founded by Catherina the Great in 1764 under the title of the “Educational Society for the Girls of Noble Birth”.

The building of the institute, a fine example of Classicism of the early 19th century, is U-shaped in plan. The inner layout of the building is marked by rationality and simplicity; the former classrooms and bedrooms were arranged on both sides of wide and long corridors.

In 1917 the building of the Smolny Institute was occupied by the Headquarters of the October Revolution, which headed the armed revolt. After the government had left for Moscow on the 10th of March 1918, the building housed municipal administrative organizations.